3.27.2009

Reading and Writing Textbook Style


A couple of months back, JR stagnated a bit in his phonics and reading skills. He was doing great with 3 letter words and basic sounds, but was having some trouble understanding long vowel sounds, silent letters, and longer words. I decided to purchase our first official school "textbook," Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. I had read a lot about this book and many homeschooling moms seemed to love it. Well, for the last few weeks, we have been steadily working our way through the lessons. Let me say right now that I LOVE THIS BOOK!!
.
It uses a different concept of introducing letters to help young children or older kids with trouble reading. In addition to teaching the standard phonetic alphabet, it teaches common letter combinations such "th," "sh," and "ae" as additional phonics sounds. It writes the combinations in such a way that the children learn to see them as one sound instead of two. We are only in the first 1/4 of the book, and JR is already learning how to read long vowel sounds, ignore silent letters, and to pronounce those tricky sounds that had confused him earlier. In addition to teaching reading, it also teaches reading comprehension, listening skills, and focus. He is once again getting excited about reading and is becoming more independent with his computer phonics lessons (which I still use for reviews and practice). I highly recommend this book and plan to use it FIRST with my other future readers.

1 comment:

Gina said...

I used this book to teach both of my older ones to read. While I loved the outcome, I must say that I can't say I loved the book. In fact, it made me want to bang my head against the wall!!! Now, as the book progressed and we got to actual stories, it got better, but those first pages were mind-numbing!!! Not that I can think of a better way to teach reading...I think it's just one of those things that drive me crazy early on. Like potty-training!

Anyway, glad it is going well! And for the record, I know I'll be using the book again for my next ones...like I said, I love the results. Oh, and by the way, don't be surprised if you abandon the book by lesson 75 or so. That seems to be the common point where the child is too busy actually reading other things to be bothered with continued lessons. Enjoy!