8.11.2008

First "full" homeschool day

We have been gradually getting used to the idea of homeschooling--introducing computer phonics here, reading there, flashcards here, Bible story there.....you get the idea. Well, today, we had our first official scheduled homeschool day. It went quite well, if I may say so. I have tried to plan our day with free time and chores in between each "subject." After feeding A, we had our Bible story time. We did our pledges, then JR did his computer phonics lesson while M and I read a book. JR loves to help with laundry--well, in typical boy style, he loves to throw it down the laundry chute. It is one of the highlights of his week. After laundry was math, so JR and I reviewed his numbers 1-20, shapes, and he threw in a little drawing for fun. M got to watch her Veggie Tales video, or "Bo-Larry" (for Bob the tomato and Larry the cucumber). Then came the combo art and bible lesson. After playing a game with money, we learned about the temple offerings and the widow who gave her last 2 coins. JR then began learning his very first memory verse..."Worship the Lord, Psalm 96:9" Few things have made me as proud as hearing him recite it to his daddy over dinner! This was followed by him reading his second book from the "Bob's books" series. Then came music and activity, which in actuality consists of turning on fun kid songs and mommy trying desperately to teach the motions associated with each song. I lasted through "Father Abraham" and was so exhausted I gave up and just let the kids dance to their own beat!

Each lesson only lasts about 10-15 minutes, so it is amazing how quickly my day went by. But the kids were exhausted, napped well, and I even got a few things done around the house. I will have to work on that area though. I am used to focusing on my chores until they are done, but now I only have minutes between each lesson, so I have to do partial chores in some cases. We'll see how the rest of the week goes.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

This is soooo inspiring! We start our homeschool next week. I am very excited...a little nervous. I have NEVER liked a schedule, but I KNOW we need one. I'm getting some projects at the house done this week...making a schedule being one of them. I am so glad you are blogging!! The pics are wonderful!