WHEW! OK, now that the truth is out, I don't feel so hypocritical. That all being said, here is what I am planning to change:
- Switch all my plastic kitchen cook/bakeware to metal or wood.
- Switch my plastic food storage containers to glass (unfortunately, most of these still come with a plastic lid, but at least it helps!)
- While I won't get rid of the kids' current plastic toys, if I must buy a toy, I will aim to start buying wood or other natural type toys whenever possible.
- Become more faithful about using my re-usable cloth grocery bags, as well as try to re-use the plastic produce bags (just to prevent sending more to the landfill).
- Try to start making my own baby food. A is getting old enough he can eat more variety, and although I will still have to use our plastic ice-cube trays and ziploc bags to freeze the stuff, at least I will cut down on baby food in plastic container purchases (and save some money in the mean time!)
- Use a refillable water-bottle instead of using disposable plastic water bottles.
- As we make purchases in preparation for the setup of our farm, I will avoid plastic whenever possible. There are many ways we can do this!
I have realized there just aren't many alernatives today for some items that we use regularly. My desire here is to prevent contamination of my body, my family's bodies, and our earth where I can though. Every little bit helps, right? If you have any additional ideas, I would LOVE to hear them!! Leave me a comment!