2.20.2009

Time for Important Things

Time seems to fly these days, seemingly at the speed of light sometimes. Whole days would pass and I would feel like I was truly missing out on important things. I haven't stuck to my detailed schedule perfectly yet, but I see so many benefits already. This schedule has really helped me make time for the rewarding, and the important things in life that truly count.

I have read my Bible and had a designated prayer time every day. Equally important, I have been more faithful at having designated Bible reading time with the children.
..
Earlier this week, we tackled a much-anticipated goal of getting some vegetables started for our first attempt at growing fresh produce.
On Thursday, we took a trip to Chuck E. Cheese's. I have found it to be a relatively inexpensive way to give the kids a thrill. For less than $5, all of us can play for about an hour and a half, the kids get as much stimulation as they can handle, and we all have a great time. This week, my schedule allowed me to plan it in such a way that S was able to share in our fun.



Last night, I found time to try out a new recipe for natural, extra healthy, granola bars. I surprised the kids with them for snack this morning. They love them, but I think they taste a bit like a health-food bar! I will let S be the final judge, and based on his opinion, I will decide whether to post my recipe.

And last, but far from least, I have allowed myself to become more aware of moments like the one below:

When we allow life to get too hectic, it is far to easy to forget to enjoy the things in life that count. Our relationship with Christ, our relationships with others--particularly our spouse and children, ensuring our personal (and family's) health--the temple of Christ, and caring for the things with which God has entrusted us are the things we should truly value.

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under heaven: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain, a time to search and a time to give up, a time to keep and a time to throw away, a time to tear and a time to mend, a time to be silent and a time to speak, a time to love and a time to hate, a time for war and a time for peace. What does the worker gain from his toil? I have seen the burden God has laid on men. He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end. I know that there is nothing better for men than to be happy and do good while they live. That everyone may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all his toil--this is the gift of God."

--Ecclesiastes 3:1-13

No comments: