11.10.2008

Chicken stock

I am proud to report S and I made our first homemade batch of chicken stock tonight. OK, so I have to admit S did most of the work. It was totally unplanned, but the results were wonderful. It all started when I went to our organic food store to pick up some groceries for the week. They had a mega-sale on a whole natural chicken for $1.99/lb (usually $4.99/lb). I couldn't resist that deal, so I bought 2 chickens. I brought them home, and S skinned and chopped them up for me, leaving us with 2 carcasses and the giblets. He decided to throw them in a pot of water and attempt to make the stock. I quickly found a few recipe ideas on the internet, and we added a few ingredients. The results were beautiful!

Here is the recipe we concocted:

  • 1 Chicken carcass per 4 quarts water
  • Giblets, if desired (they will make the broth much stronger!)
  • Desired amounts of vegetables such as carrots, celery, onion, potatoes, etc.
  • Desired amounts of herbs such as parsley, bay leaves, etc.
  • 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper per 4 quarts
Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer soup for about 4 hours. Pour soup through a strainer, seperating broth from solids. I didn't have a wire strainer, so in order to get the smallest solids and herbs strained, we then re-strained the broth through a linen cloth. We were left with the bowl of broth you see above. We then put all the vegetables into a seperate container, picked the carcass clean, and added the meat to the veggies for a soup tomorrow. Store the excess accordingly, and enjoy!


This picture shows our yield of about 8 quarts of broth (divided into needed portions to either freeze or use tomorrow), and a bowl of chicken and veggies for soup. YUM!! As a side note, S quickly tired of munching on the cooked giblets, so I gave them to Will. Mind you, this is a dog who NEVER gets people food, and rarely gets any hand-fed treats. That dog was in absolute HEAVEN!!!

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Way to go! What a great deal on the chicken! Brandon and I ordered Sally Falon's book Nourishing Traditions last night. We can't wait to get it. I have found a local farm that gets dairy delivered every other week. I am still investigating some other options...hopefully something even closer. Currently, I'm baffled over what I'm learning about cornfed vs. grass fed beef! Agh.

Real-life Family said...

How cool is that? I've heard of people making chicken stock before, but never tried it. Looks good!