11.07.2008

Thankful...

There are a few things I am soooooo thankful we taught/are teaching our kids!
  • to pray (there are few things sweeter than a young child's prayer!)
  • to whisper if they have an urgent question about someone
  • to ask questions about others when we are alone in the car or at home
  • "potty-talk" (i.e. anything related to bodily waste) should not happen at the dinner table
  • gas should only be expelled in the bathroom (it is so funny when my son suddenly jumps down from the dinner table with the explanation "I have to go pass gas!")
  • manners (it is sad when manners are so rare, that people compliment when they hear your children use them!)
  • to raise a hand or gently touch me in our specific way and wait for acknowledgement, rather than interrupt an adult conversation (in person or on phone)
  • to like vegetables (I really felt like I had done something right the other day when JR suddenly said, "Mom, for lunch today, I want broccoli, sweet potatoes, and peas!" Unfortunately, I didn't have all those items, but geepers, that came from my 4 year old!!)
  • a routine (life is soooo much easier when children know what to expect, go to bed and stay there without a fight, ask to take their baths, and stay in their rooms until the designated times!)
  • to play independently sometimes
  • to clean up their toys (no, I do not have a clean house all the time, but it is nice to have a little help at "clean-up time")

I think we have been saved many a potentially embarassing moment thanks to a few of these. What are some things you are thankful for?

1 comment:

Melonie said...

I'm not sure if I can take credit for "teaching" this myself or not, but I'm thankful nonetheless! Our 6-yr-old has always been encouraged to think of his baby brother's feelings first. We have never had much sibling rivalry because he has almost a parent-like attitude toward our little one (20 months), and delights in demonstrating kindness and extending patience when the little guy's needs come first or when he messes up his toys, etc. It has been a huge blessing for us as parents to see the constant positive interaction between them. I hesitate to take much credit for this, though, as our younger one seems to be more strong-willed; I think selflessness will be more difficult to convey to him than it was to our first!

I loved reading all of yours! (Wish my kids liked vegetables - ha ha!)