9.09.2008

Crab and Rice Salad

Here is another favorite recipe of ours, particularly on a hot summer day! Note: while quick and easy to make, this recipe should be prepared several hours in advance so it has time to cool in the refrigerator.

3 cups cooked brown rice
6 oz package of pre-cooked imitation crab meat
1 can sweet peas, drained
4 stalks celery, finely sliced
1/3 cup green onions, finely chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tbs Spice Island salad seasoning (optional)
1 tbs lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
lettuce and curry powder (optional, but can make a pretty dish)

Combine all ingredients except lettuce and curry powder. Mix well and chill for several hours. Serve mixture on a leaf of lettuce with curry powder lightly sprinkled on top.

Variation: You can substitute a little ranch dressing for the mayonnaise for some added kick. Sorry, I didn't get a chance to get a pic, my family likes it too much!!

4 comments:

Melonie said...

Hello again! I just keep bugging you, don't I? ;) Anyway, I was wondering what "wheat rice" is? I can't find it at our commissary. Is it like brown rice? I am making this recipe as we speak, and I'm going to use a brown/white rice blend, because that's what we have right now and I know my family will eat it. But I want to try it the right way next time...any suggestions on finding wheat rice?

Red Gate said...

I feel like such a goof! *blush* For some reason, I had wheat bread on my mind when I wrote this. I meant brown rice. So sorry about that! I will correct it right now!

Melonie said...

That's okay! This recipe is SOOO delicious! Wow. Unfortunately, my boys didn't care for it too much tonight, but they tend to be picky, and often they'll warm up to a new food if we try it several times. Also if I give it to them when they're REALLY hungry, they'll eat (and love!) just about anything. But my husband and I really, really, really (....) like this! Thank you so much for sharing. :) I'll be making it again soon!

Red Gate said...

Thanks! Just for the record, the original recipe calls for white rice, but I began substituting with brown rice just because it makes it even healthier!